The Covenant

 




You know what happens when you have an epiphany?  Or, you remember a time in your life that seems real right now and you can't distinguish between what is made up and was is actually real in your life?  Well, that is what it was like to watch Guy Ritchie's The Covenant.  

Many of you may or may not know that I was a missionary in Haiti for 10 years.  But the feelings I got in this film reminded me of my former home.  There are just some things that you can't sense unless you lived in a 3rd world country and sensed the pain and the struggle of the people of that country.  

In this film, we see 2 men who don't know each other and who are brought together by a job opportunity.  There are some men in Afghanistan who worked as interpreters with U.S. soldiers who are risking their lives in order to keep our troops safe. 

This story is about 2 men John Kinley and Ahmed.  When an U.S. army squad is pinned down by the Taliban everyone dies except 2 men the staff sergeant, (John) who is played by Jake Gyllenhall, and the interpreter, (Ahmed) played by Dar Salim.  This film is about their journey and how one American has to trust an Aphgani to get him to safety to save his life and then an Aphgani has to trust a foreigner to get him out of his country to save his family.  

It reminded me about how when I lived in Haiti how people didn't have to be blood to be family.  We would say Moun pam which means my people.  But one expression I thought of was San mwen, my blood.  It doesn't matter what your background is it is what you are willing to do for us.  I know I mention my faith in this blog a lot but it is not to be preachy it just fits most of the time.  Jesus gave his life for us, so why don't we lay down our lives for others.  

John 15:13: Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

That should be the theme for our lives, to love others more than ourselves.  Please see this film it is at the theater or online it is well worth it.  Much of my family in Haiti does not look like me but they love me just like family even if I just married into it.  Thank you all and God bless.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Marley ONE LOVE

Land of Bad

Godzilla x King Kong a new empire